9th Grade (Freshmen)
- Begin a Four-Year Plan
- Talk to your counselor about graduation requirements
- Become familiar with the UC/CSU a-g subject requirements
- Work on your grades! Aim for As and Bs in all of your classes
- Start thinking about your academic and career goals. Use the internet to do career searches to find your interests
- Take PSAT 8/9
10th Grade (Sophomores)
- Review your four-year plan.
- Keep your grades up
- Make preliminary inquiries about college. http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp for college searches. www.californiacolleges.edu provides great information on CA colleges and universities.
- Take the PSAT (pre-SAT) test in the fall. This is required for all 10th graders.
- Practice for SAT at www.khanacademy.org
11th Grade (Juniors)
- Take PSAT/NMSQT Merit Scholarship Program
- Take honors or AP courses. http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html
- Take the SAT http://www.collegeboard.com/splash/ and/or the ACT www.act.org in the Spring. www.number2.com and www.testprepreview.com offer helpful study guides.
- Refine your list of possible college choices and their entrance requirement. Use www.access.bridges.com and/or http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp. Visit individual college websites. VISIT COLLEGE CAMPUSES!!!
- Develop a resume. Visit http://acinet.org/acinet/resume/resume_intro.asp?nodeid=26 if you need help.
- Apply for scholarships. Register with www.fastweb.com
- Start talking to teachers, coaches, administrators, counselors, people in the community about letters of recommendation.
- Athletes: Register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. www.ncaaclearinghouse.net.
Interested in the military? Not sure about what career to choose? Take the ASVAB. http://www.asvabprogram.com/
12th Grade (Seniors)
- Must have the SAT http://www.collegeboard.com/splash/ and/or the ACT www.act.org by December for UC/CSU admission
- Turn in your Senior Resume to your counselor. Read the scholarship bulletin.
- CSU Application period: October 1st to November 30th. www.csumentor.edu
- UC Application period: November 1st to November 30th. www.universityofcalifornia.edu Talk to your counselor to review your application before you SUBMIT!
- Check each private school and out of state school’s websites for application deadlines and requirements. Many colleges and universities use the Common Application www.commonapp.org
- Apply for Financial Aid.
- Attend the Financial Aid Workshop in October.
- Complete and file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). www.fafsa.ed.gov by March 2. Make sure your counselor reviews your FAFSA application before you SUBMIT!